Monday, May 31, 2010

Mingling of Tears



I had a special moment at church that I wanted to journal about. During one of the last worship songs, I looked over and saw a precious woman named Marisela crying, hands raised in true worship of her King. Her crying got more and more intense, from gladness or sorrow, I couldn't tell. It was touching my heart and drawing me to worship in my own heart. And then, the Holy Spirit whispered to my soul, "Walk over to her side and hug her." Yikes. But, it was clear that I was to do so. My good friend next to me had just asked to hold Virginia Grace, so my arms were free to hug. I tiptoed over to dear Marisela, whose eyes were closed, lost in her Savior, and I just wrapped my arms around her and gave her a squeeze from above. She opened her tear-filled eyes, and I whispered the words from the previous song, "Su fidelidad es grande." ("God's faithfulness is so great.") Marisela gave me an incredible gift - her tears. None of us like to share tears, rather smiles. Her shared tears bonded our hearts in a unique way. As our cheeks touched, our tears mingled. It was supernatural. It was a beautiful picture of what is to come - "After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb." ~Revelation 7:9
Our church, Harbor church, was created because God gave us a vision to "bridge race, class, and culture" and to give us a foretaste of what is to come, described above. This moment was a powerful "bridging" moment. The older grandmother and younger mother, the Hispanic woman and suburban Caucasian rascal, a wise teacher and the growing student. It warms my heart to see Virginia Grace wrapped up in Marisela's shawl after church. These two have bonded as you can see in the picture. V G took an hour and a half nap nestled in Marisela's arms, shawl encasing her. I am thankful for the diverse Body of Christ and for the Spirit who prompts us to move, giving us the beauty of moments like this one.

2 comments:

  1. B - this is so beautiful! i love this story and love getting to see your blog and these precious, gorgeous babies!!

    love you all,
    aunt larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. B - this is amazing. I'm so glad I got to meet Marisela at church the other week. I love how you listen to the spirit. Love yoU!!

    -bean

    ReplyDelete

Easter

Easter
Virginia Grace Phelan

Disneyland Magical FUN!

Disneyland Magical FUN!
Our first night at Downtown Disney

They loved the Dumbo ride.

Best Buddies

Pooped!

Milly bravely sat in the front with Daddy. Ford was "hands up" and Milly was "digging fingernails into Daddy's leg."

Mama and Daddy were just as excited.

Mickey was the biggest hit.

Ford and Milly kept saying, "I'm so excited!" I wonder who says that a lot around our house?

Easter's 1st Portrait (Sonogram)

"We're ready for another Phelan munchkin to join our circus!"

Proud Big Brother

Happy Big Sis (check out those wild curls after bathtime:) )

Fatherly Ford

Not-So-Motherly Milly

Ford feeding the babies lettuce and tomato